Dr. Dre Apologizes for Assaulting Women in the Past But Did He Do it for Apple?
Dr. Dre has issued an apology to the women he’s physically abused amid criticism over the issue being completely ignored in the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton.
“Twenty-five years ago I was a young man drinking too much and in over my head with no real structure in my life. However, none of this is an excuse for what I did. I’ve been married for 19 years and every day I’m working to be a better man for my family, seeking guidance along the way. I’m doing everything I can so I never resemble that man again,” he said in a statement released to the New York Times.
“I apologize to the women I’ve hurt. I deeply regret what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives,” he added.
Dre’s history of domestic violence resurfaced after critics notedStraight Out of Compton erased those stories from the film. The biopic, now in its second week of release, is expected to surpass $100 million at the box office this weekend.
Several articles and essays were published documenting his assaults in the ’90s on his ex-girlfriend, Michel’le, journalist Dee Barnes and former label mate Tairrie B.
Michel’le spoke out and said he left her with cracked ribs and several black eyes. Barnes recently wrote: “When I get migraines, my head does ring and it hurts, exactly in the same spot every time where he smashed my head against the wall.”
According to the Times, the “uproar” over his past behavior toward women has become a concern to Apple, which bought his Beats empire last year in a $3 billion deal. He now has a senior position at Apple.
The article states Dre issued the apology partially because “the uproar was threatening not only his reputation but also his business dealings.”
Apple also came to his defense and released a statement to the Times. “Dre has apologized for the mistakes he’s made in the past and he’s said that he’s not the same person that he was 25 years ago. We believe his sincerity and after working with him for a year and a half, we have every reason to believe that he has changed.”
Aretha Franklin may be moving into real estate.
The Queen of Soul told WWJ-AM she wants to open an entertainment venue in Detroit that would include a nightclub and fine dining.
It would also include “a five-star night club for dining and dancing, the band, the whole nine yards,” as well as a museum, she added.
Franklin said in Thursday’s interview she’s “glad that Detroit came through the bankruptcy with flying colors.” She says she loves how Detroit is enjoying a renaissance and that she’s “going to be part of that renaissance.”
Downtown Detroit has been a hotbed of redevelopment since the city emerged from Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in December.
Franklin says she’s found a potential location downtown, with details to be announced later.